The Pros and Cons of Human Hair Wigs for Women
There are a number of reasons why the average woman might opt to wear wigs rather than displaying her natural hair. In some cases, it is related to medical conditions or medications (chemotherapy, for example) that cause hair to fall out. In other instances, women experience thinning hair or balding that makes them uncomfortable or embarrassed. Or it could simply be that you tire of having the same hairdo day in and day out and you’re looking for a way to spice things up. Regardless of your reasons for wearing wigs, you’ll find that you have two main options to choose from when it comes to a full head of hair: synthetic fibers or natural human hair. And while you might think that natural hair is better, you should know that there are several pros and cons associated with choosing natural over synthetic. Here are a few to consider before you shell out the dough for a wig.
1. Feels like real hair…because it is. Although many modern synthetic wigs look even better than real hair, the major downside for most women is that fake hair simply cannot accurately mimic the feel of real hair. Human hair wigs, on the other hand, will feel real to anyone who touches them. So you’ll simply have to decide whether look or feel is more important.
2. Styling. The real beauty of human hair wigs is that you can style them just like you would your own hair. Synthetic wigs cannot bear any amount of heat – you even have to wash them in cold water or the fibers can melt. And this definitely means you can’t blow dry, curl, or flat iron your synthetic wigs. You also can’t dye them. In this regard, human hair is preferable.
3. Durability. With proper care, human hair wigs can last far longer than synthetic options for the simple fact that real hair is stronger than synthetic fibers. And they can take a lot of abuse. Consider that a human hair can handle the heat if you open an oven door. The same action might cause your synthetic fibers to melt.
1. Appearance. The unfortunate truth you will discover when you start comparing real human hair to synthetic fiber wigs is that fake hair often looks better. It is shiny and perfect from root to tip, whereas real human hair needs extensive care in order to look its best, and even then it will probably never look as good as a synthetic wig can.
2. Styling. This constitutes both the best and the worst part of wearing a human hair wig. While you can have a different hairstyle every day if you want, you still have to wash, dry, and style your hair daily in order to look your best. Like your real hair, a human hair wig needs to be brushed and washed frequently. It will absorb the sweat from your scalp and environmental factors like food smells and cigarette smoke. Whereas synthetic wigs may only need to be washed every few days, depending on how much you wear them, human hair will require more frequent care, especially if you use leave-in products.
3. Cost. When you see the price tag associated with a wig made from real human hair, you may decide to find a natural looking wig made of synthetic fibers instead. It’s important to remember that a wig is a long-term investment, so it may be worth it to pay more for the durability and flexibility offered by human hair options. But whether you’re in the market for a long-term solution or you’re just looking for a change for fun, you should check out all of the options at your local retailer before you make a decision on which type of wig is right for you.