5 Tips for Pulling Off a Non-Traditional Wedding Dress
When it comes to choosing a wedding gown, not every gal is keen to don the classic, white ball gown or other formal attire. Some women prefer to forego the farce of virginal white by selecting a colored fabric while others can’t stand the thought of a poofy, princess dress. Some make do with an off-the-rack dress or a simple suit, some want knee-length or mini hemline, and some want to show a lot of skin with peekaboo panels. And a theme or period wedding may call for some very strange attire, indeed. The one constant is that every woman wants to feel beautiful, desirable, and confident on her wedding day, a proposition that may require a non-traditional approach to the dress. However, pulling off a non-traditional look might not be as easy as you think. Here are just a few guidelines that will help you to find the perfect dress for your special day, even if it’s not what guests expect.
- Make it special. You can certainly go with a simple gown or suit from a department store rather than spending an outrageous amount of money for a gigantic dress that makes you uncomfortable and unhappy. But the trick is to make sure that you don’t look like you’re on your way to the office, a nightclub, or any number of other everyday events. You only get married once and you want to make sure that you look and feel special and beautiful. So take the time to select attire that goes above and beyond what you might wear on any other day.
- Shop early. The problem with selecting a non-traditional wedding dress, in some cases, is that what you’re looking for can be difficult to find. Suppose, for example, that what you really want is a colored gown. Perhaps you’re perfectly happy with the thought of an otherwise traditional wedding dress in style, textile, and so on, but you want it bright red, emerald, or baby blue. In order to make this happen you could be required to jump through all kinds of hoops and incur extra expense. So finding the right dress early can help to ensure that you get the ordering or alterations out of the way in plenty of time for your big day.
- Get fit. While most brides have a goal of getting in shape for their wedding day, what we’re talking about here is the fit of the dress. No matter what kind of garment you choose to wear when you walk down the aisle, it needs to fit and flatter your body if you want to look and feel your best. So regardless of what you choose, make sure you have it tailored to fit you perfectly.
- Consider a custom gown. Since non-traditional gowns can be hard to procure, you may find that having a custom gown created for you is more expedient and perhaps even more affordable than trying to alter a ready-made dress to suit your aesthetic. Just keep in mind that a little planning goes a long way towards keeping time and expense at a minimum. In short, changes throughout the process will cost you.
- Consult with a pro. Just because you know that you don’t want a traditional wedding dress doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve figured out what you DO want. So check in with a consultant at Kleinfeld, Allure Bridals, or the showroom of your favorite designer. This professional should be able to offer you a variety of options and help you to find or design the dress that’s uniquely you.